Friday

wow it's been a while!!!!

I was so busy updating the Crop 4 kids blog site and web site I forgot about my own... so now it's time to get back to me...
It's been a long month. I know some of you have been asking about Ben. so here's the scoop...
At the end of March ( 3 days before Crop 4 Kids) Ben went in for surgery to have a PICC line put into his arm so he could get IV antibiotics 24 hours a day. He was so amazing. I am soooooo proud to have a son that can go though so much at such a young age and still have such a smile on his face!

Everything was going great with is line and him getting his antibiotics. Every day he would come and sit in the living room and get his line changed. I know lot more about nursing than I ever wanted too...

Then it happened, the thing they told me hardly ever happens.... his line broke.....

On beautiful Tuesday morning, my lovely husband had just left for work when I hear..... MOM!!!!!! I see Megan and Ben at the end of my bed(it's 6am), Megan has Ben's line in her hand and Ben is no longer attached to it. I jump out of Ben and spring into auction. Remembering what they told me to do... "If anything ever happens to his line just put heparin in it and come to the hospital." It wasn't till I was half way back up the stairs that I realised the line that the Heparin is suppose to go into to.. is in my hand.. what do I do now!!!! I hear the MOM!!!! scream again when reach my bed room there is blood all over my bed, Blood is now coming out of Ben's line... So I did what every mom does... I called my mommy....




So to make a long story short we got him to the hospital and we tried to repair the line. but after 24 hours he had to go back into the OR and have a new line put in. Once again my brave little 3 year old was a trooper. He had not eaten anything since the night before, and they finally got him back into the OR at 5pm... he kept screaming he wanted scrambled eggs.... when he woke up from the OR the first thing that came out of his mouth was "Can I have scrambled eggs now?"

Fast forward to the End of April.. We made it!!!!

He's done 4 weeks of caring around a 20lb backpack 24hrs a day.....

we were at the hospital on Wednesday and we have stopped his IV but.. they have kept his line in just in case his infection comes back.... lets cross our fingers it doesn't....

we'll keep you posted...

Ben walking the halls of the hospital with his back pack
One of our favorite nurses in the ID clinic

Ben getting his x-ray to make sure
everything is in place

No comments:

Post a Comment