Wednesday

What an inspiration!!!

Megan's School Spots day was last Friday.. Yes in the pouring rain, good thing our teachers were nice enough to have it held indoors!!

At the school the kids all year have been learning about the Circle of Courage: (taken for LBES web site)

“The circle is a symbol of life…individual parts within the circle connect with every other; and what happens to one, or what one part does, affects all within the circle.” (Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve)
Lake Bonavista School embraces the Circle of Courage philosophy. The Circle of Courage is based on the work of Larry Brendtro, Martin Brokenleg, and Steve Van Bockern. As a school community we support a safe and caring learning environment for our students by creating conditions that promote the following areas in each child:


The Spirit of Belonging:The universal longing for human bonds is cultivated by relationships of trust so that the child can say, “I am loved”.


The Spirit of Generosity:Character is cultivated by concern for others so that the child can say, “I have purpose for my life.”


The Spirit of Mastery:The inborn thirst for learning is cultivated; by learning to cope with the world, the child can say, “I can succeed.”


The Spirit of Independence:Free will is cultivated by responsibility so that the child can say, “I have the power to make decisions.”


I think this is an amazing philosophy for the kids to lean, Megan has embraced it and learned so many things this year with it.

So back to sports day, using the Circle or Courage the kids were split up into the 4 color groups and were encouraged to use what they had learned about the circle and encourage their fellow students during the day. At the beginning of the day they had an assembly to get everyone excited about the day.

I didn't think I would ever cry at a Sports day assembly but... they had a boy from the local High School come and speak to the kids, and what an inspiration he was.

He was born with Cerebral palsy and is in a wheel chair, but he talked about how he never let that stop him from doing what he wanted to do. He will graduate this year from grade 12 and will be attending McGill in the fall. WHAT an accomplishment, his parents should be so proud!

When I think I'm having a ruff day all I need to do is think of this boy and know what ever is put in my way, know matter how frustrated I get, I can and will accomplish it!

I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment